Sunday, June 10, 2012

Cross-posted- starting your own law firm.


There are times when starting a law firm that what you are doing feels like a grind. Every day when I wake up I’ve got a laundry list of things I’ve got to get done. When I go to bed, I’ve got a laundry list of things I’ve got to get done. The list is never ending. Sometimes it feels overwhelming. Sometimes I wonder if it will ever end (it won’t). Sometimes I wish itwould just end.
But, when I take the time to take a step back, I realize it’s all a matter of perspective.

You Can be a Glass Half Full Person or You Can be a Glass Half Empty Person – It’s All Up to You

I must admit, I’m not having a particularly bad day today, or a bad week. In fact, I’m feeling pretty good overall. Business is decent (though the recent Google update set us back a little) and we’re moving forward in a very positive way.
But I know what that place feels like – and it’s not great. And that’s where your perspective comes into play.
I was reminded of this today in a blog post I read by Seth Godin titled Dancing on the Edge of Finished. It’s a great post and it’s short, so I’m going to post the whole thing here – hopefully he doesn’t get pissed off about that.
    Dancing on the Edge of Finished
    Before, when your shift was done, you were finished. When the inbox was empty, when the forms were processed, you could stop.
    Now, of course, there’s always one more tweet to make, post to write, words with friends move to complete. There’s one more bit of email, one more lens you can construct, one more comment you can respond to. If you want to, you can be never finished.
    And that’s the dance. Facing a sea of infinity, it’s easy to despair, sure that you will never reach dry land, never have the sense of accomplishment of saying, “I’m done.” At the same time, to be finished, done, complete–this is a bit like being dead. The silence and the feeling that maybe that’s all.
    For the marketer, the freelancer and the entrepreneur, the challenge is to level set, to be comfortable with the undone, with the cycle of never-ending. We were trained to finish our homework, our peas and our chores. Today, we’re never finished, and that’s okay.
    It’s a dance, not an endless grind.
I think that pretty much says it all. What’s your state of mind? Can you change it just by seeing things a little differently? If you can, why aren’t you actively trying to do that? The impact on your life will be tremendous.
Comments, questions, thoughts? I’d love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be respectful and you shall be heard.